Call Now: 202-600-4996
Changes to Issuance Of Hazardous Materials Endorsements (HME)

Recently, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration issued a ruling on the proposed changes of issuance of Hazardous Materials Endorsements (HMEs) and commercial driver licenses (CDLs). The changes have incorporated joint recommendations from two organizations: the American Trucking Associations and the National Tank Truck Carriers.

The Average Worker Will Benefit From National Standard.

According to National Tank Truck Carriers reports, the changes will now allow a driver who is seeking an HME the ability to use a Transportation Worker Identification Credential in order to satisfy his or her background check requirements.

Currently, commercial vehicle operators seeking to obtain, transfer, or renew a Hazardous Material Endorsement need to apply for the state-issued CDL by filing an online application and scheduling an appointment. The Hazardous Materials Endorsement Threat Assessment Program will conduct threat assessments for drivers seeking a Hazardous Materials Endorsement.

According to the National Tank Truck Carriers and the American Trucking Associations, the recent updates in regulations allow for the potential that drivers applying for a Hazardous Materials Endorsement in their respective states to be able to forgo legally mandated background checks if they already possess a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC).

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration whose responsibility is to provide state licensing organizations guidance and direction by creating and setting new standards for this area has agreed to define a TWIC as being the transportation security card issued by the Transportation Security Administration.  This guidance allows states to be able to utilize the TWIC credential in order to meet the HME background check requirement.

In short, this means that drivers seeking HMEs will save time and money by being able to use the streamlined process.

When Applying for a Transportation Worker Identification Credential, Consult the Legal Support of a Qualified Attorney 

If you are a commercial vehicle driver seeking an HME, you will need to use a Transportation Worker Identification Credential in order to satisfy your background check requirements. Applications can often present many challenges that a skilled and experienced attorney can help you with. If you are having difficulty in your background check, seek the legal support of a proficient and qualified attorney as soon as possible.

Attorney Brett O’Brien has many years of dedicated experience helping applicants who have been denied a Hazardous Materials Endorsement. The appeal process can be very complex; obtain the legal support of a proficient attorney who will build a comprehensive appeal on your behalf.

About the Author

Brett O'Brien, Esq.
Brett O'Brien, Esq.

Brett O’Brien specializes in security clearance appeals. He has dedicated his career to learning the entire security clearance process from start to finish. He started his journey by working for the federal government before entering private practice. Learn more about Brett here.

Call Now ButtonTalk to an Attorney Now